There might be a monster under your sink…. And no, it is not my adorably cute cat who was hiding in a bag of clothes! (Don’t worry, this little kitty was not taken to Good Will with the jeans that were two sizes too small 😀 )
Actually, the monster may be your home cleaners! Gasp! I must be out of my mind, right? I really wish I was (only in this instance lol)
When I decided to go CF I didn’t want to just stop at my makeup/beauty purchases. I wanted to make a point to go as CF as I possibly could. For me, that means my household cleaning supplies were on the chopping block. Things like floor cleaner and window spray are often forgotten, but they are tested on animals too. Whether your CF journey includes changing your cleaning supplies or not, it’s up to you (and those who live in your home). I just wanted to create this post for all of those who either hadn’t thought about CF home cleaners or don’t know where to begin!
I do not buy cleaning supplies when I’m at my mother’s house. However, I will be moving into a new apartment soon and need to gather some cleaning supplies of my own. I had already purchased most of my supplies before going CF (My mom and I went bulk shopping at the beginning of the summer) so a lot of my CF household shopping will not happen for quite some time. I will use up my non-CF cleaners and then start buying new CF versions 🙂
Until then, I thought I would help out those of you who want to clean your house with a clear conscience!
In honor of currently watching an old episode of MythBusters on Netflix I thought I would “debunk some myths” about CF household cleaners!
MYTH / TRUTH
- CF cleaners are expensive and I just don’t have the money for the switch!
- There are SO many cheap CF cleaning brands (like Method brand) that can be purchased for around the same price (or cheaper) as name brand non-CF cleaners. To not break the bank on the switch, try to slowly go CF (one product at a time). Also, websites like iHerb.com sell a lot of CF products (and non-CF) for discounted prices.
(all images below belong to either Target or the brand in question, I do not own any of the below images)
Lysol Lemon Breeze All Purpose Cleaner 32 oz. = $6.99 online price
(around $0.22 per oz)
Seventh Generation Disinfecting Multi-Surface Cleaner 26oz. = 3.19 online price
(around $0.12 per oz)
- Most CF cleaners are more natural and I don’t think that natural cleaners can do the job right!
- Unnecessarily harsh chemicals are not good for anyone involved, and a lot of natural cleaning products use as little of those as possible (Just enough to get the job done) to keep you clean and safe. However, when in doubt, go to the customer reviews. People who have already used these products will tell you the facts, whether good or bad. If everyone likes (or dislikes) a certain product, you probably will feel the same!
- CF cleaners are hard to find and aren’t sold in stores near me!
- Look no further than your local target (for example), or grocery store. CF cleaners are closer than you think (right next to your favorite non-CF brand most of the time!) You just have to know what brands to look for. Method brand, for example, is sold at my local target and Publix (the best grocery store in FL) It is also sold online… what’s closer than your front door? You can search for CF cleaning brands on Leaping Bunny’s CF Shopping Guide, you just have to find your favorite one now!
- I can’t remember all of the CF brands when I’m shopping on the go. I’ll end up buying a non-CF brand by accident anyway!
- Have no fear, an app is here! Leaping Bunny has created an easy to use “Cruelty-Free” app for all of your forgetful, quick shopping needs. Available for both iPhones and Androids, this app provides the whole Leaping Bunny shopping guide wherever and whenever one would need it. Whether you want to search by company, or product (like household items) this thing has you covered! It’s a lifesaver and I think everyone should download it right now… go ahead… I’ll wait.
So, as you can see, finding and purchasing CF cleaners is not as difficult as you might have thought. It just takes a little research and effort, but it is VERY worth it in the end. Just think of all the animals you can help by making this little change around your home. I hope this post has helped you in your cruelty-free cleaning endeavors! 😀
Questions: Do you use, or are thinking of using CF cleaning products for your home? Did you believe any of the myths above before this post? What do you think about going CF when it comes to household products? Did you download the Leaping Bunny app yet?